Saturday, October 20, 2012

Introducing kids to Jane Austen

I was thrilled to find a copy of this tonight.  I'd seen and coveted a friend's, which she got for her new granddaughter.  My nieces are both too old and too young to appreciate it, which means I get to keep it for myself.


If you can't read the lower right corner, it says, "a counting primer by Jennifer Adams"  (Alison Oliver is the artist).  This is the cleverest thing, well worthy of Jane Austen.  The numbers are represented by characters and events from Pride & Prejudice, with funny illustrations, like Elizabeth on the cover above, in a top that reads "I ♥ Darcy."  The number 2 is "2 rich gentlemen," Messrs. Bingley and Darcy.  The number 4 is "4 marriage proposals," though sadly Mr Collins's to Charlotte is not included.  My favorite number is 10: "10,000 pounds a year."

I see that the same team has also done Jane Eyre and Romeo and Juliet.  I'm hoping for Emma or Persuasion, myself.

4 comments:

  1. This is adorable! My daughter is 22, but I may have to buy her a copy for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. JoAnn, I think Janeites of any age would enjoy this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got this for a friend when she was pregnant with her third child--she's an Austen fan and didn't really "need" more baby stuff. Needless to say, she loved it!

    I got a copy for myself too.

    Fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a perfect gift, Jane! I'm looking forward to sharing this with my local Jane Austen Society chapter - though I'll have to keep a close eye out to make sure I get it back :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read, and to comment. I always enjoy hearing different points of view about the books I am reading, even if we disagree!