Saturday, July 26, 2014

Inspiring blogs and bloggers, or the VIB Award

Even after three years, I sometimes feel like I'm still figuring this whole blogging thing out, and I wonder from time to time if I'm doing it right.  From the beginning, I have been inspired by and learned from many wonderful blogs and bloggers.  So it was a pleasant shock to learn I'd been nominated as a "Very Inspiring Blogger" myself.


Very-inspiring-blog-award-logo-300x215

My nomination comes from Barb of Leaves and Pages, who most recently inspired me to start collecting the books of Sara Jeannette Duncan.  Thank you very much!

Here are the rules for this award:

  • Thank and link to the person who nominated you.
  • List the rules and display the award.
  • Share seven facts about yourself.
  • Nominate 15 other amazing blogs and comment on their posts to let them know they have been nominated
  • Optional: display the award logo on your blog and follow the blogger who nominated you

Seven facts about myself:  Actually, I hate talking about myself or being the center of attention - but here goes.
  • I was born in Oregon, and I've since lived in Michigan (twice), Georgia, Washington State, England (very briefly), Massachusetts, and now Texas.
  • I am left-handed, which runs in my family.
  • I am an archivist, which I think is one of the coolest professions on the planet.
  • I am addicted to tea, particularly Tippy Yunan and Ti Kuan Yin.
  • I named my blog after the number of TBR books on my stacks that day. If I started it today, it would be TBR 293.
  • I am a complete U.S. Civil War geek, and Abraham Lincoln is my hero of heroes (not exactly a surprise to anyone who visits this blog).
  • No one in my family reads my blog. Not that that bothers me or anything.

Barb in her own award posting beat me to several of my inspirations, including not just herself, but Jane of Fleur in her World, Claire of The Captive Reader, vicki of bibliolathas, and Jenny of Reading the End.  There are many more though who inspire me, both in terms of what I want this blog to be, and also with that so-familiar feeling of "I need to read that book!"  [Usually followed by a spendy visit to ABE Books or Barnes & Noble.]

I am sure that these wonderful people have been nominated before (probably multiple times at that):

Jenny and Teresa of Shelf Love, one of the first blogs that I came across and started reading regularly.  They truly inspired the beginning of this blog, and they continue to inspire me with the diversity and excellence of their reading.

Karen of Books and Chocolate, whose TBR stacks include big Wodehouse and Trollope sections, just like mine.

Audrey of books as food, who has inspired me to add Edith Wharton to my TBR stacks, among many other books.

Anbolyn of Gundrun's Tights,who re-introduced me to Mary Stewart, among other authors.  I have my stack ready for this fall's Mary Stewart Reading Week.

James of James Reads Books (and previously Ready When You Are, C.B.), who inspires and challenges me to read mindfully, especially through the TBR dares he hosts - meanwhile adding books to those TBR stacks.

JoAnn of Lakeside Musing, who has introduced me books as diverse as The Makioka Sisters and 97 Orchard.

Thomas at My Porch, who re-introduced me to Barbara Pym, and whose eclectic reading inspires me.  I've also borrowed his idea of short reviews (aka the Bits and Bobs).

Katrina of Pining for the West, whose posts on vintage crime have added to my TBR stacks (most recently, Patricia Wentworth's Miss Silver books).

Jane of Reading, Writing, Working, Playing, who shares my fascination with the Civil War, and my love of Jane Austen and Louisa May Alcott's books.

Helen of She Reads Novels, who reads an awesome array of historical fiction and classic novels, and who introduced me to The Count of Monte Cristo, for which I can't think her enough.

Simon of Stuck in a Book, who is an inspiration to all of us. His "My Life in Books" series has spotlighted many great blogs - I was honored to be included. And he's made me a "Great British Bake Off" addict!

Cat of Tell Me a Story, who is back posting regularly (yay!)

Alex of Thinking in Fragments, whose posts on reading itself are as interesting and thought-provoking as her varied reviews.

Pam of Travellin' Penguin, who loves sharing books, both on her blog and as The Book Phantom.

Audra of Unabridged Chick, a newer blogger to me, who also reviews a wide range of historical fiction, with many author interviews and posts.


Thank you all for inspiring me, for your blogs, and especially for commenting on my posts.  The conversations that we have about books here and on your sites is why I do this.  And my thanks again to Barb for nominating me for this award.

18 comments:

  1. I'm listening to the audiobook of Jane's Fame and am just coming up to the turn of the century...reading about the first biographies after her nephew's memoir. I'll need to read this, of course!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm starting to think I need to re-read the Harman book myself! I had Austen's nephew's memoir off the shelf to check something and started leafing through it. Hopefully you can find a copy of the Hills' book.

      Delete
  2. Oh, there it is! I meant to leave this on the last post, of course! Here, I was going to say thank you very much - I'm honored!
    Audrey

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Lisa! I am honored to be in such wonderful company... and equally happy you have enjoyed The Makioka Sisters and 97 Orchard as much as I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of you with those two books. I still find myself thinking about the sisters, and wondering about their lives.

      Delete
  4. Thank you for nominating me, Lisa. I'm glad I could introduce you to The Count of Monte Cristo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How nice to get an award. It's been years since I've gotten one of these.

    No one in my family reads my blog either. Once in a while a couple of my friends do, and a few people I know through work. None of my students as far as I know have found it,yet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Helen, I now have a Dumas section of the TBR stacks. It's not a lot of books, but since it's Dumas, it's a lot of pages!

    James, I haven't been nominated before, and it's kinda fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Lisa - I appreciate you thinking of me although I don't feel I've been much of an inspiration to anyone lately. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Lisa! I'm glad you're enjoying reading Mary Stewart. You are so inspiring to me, as well. I truly enjoy all of your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cat, it's so good to see you posting again. I know you will be adding to my TBR stacks!

    Anbolyn, you're introducing me to some new-to-me authors now, with your focus on classic American women writers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks so much for nominating me, I will get around to compiling my own lists soon. I feel I'm just getting back into the blogging habit after all the upheavals we've had recently.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the award--it was funny reading a bit about you. You've definitely lived in a number of interesting place, and I'm a tea fan too.

    I really want to read more about Lincoln and the Civil War, especially during these 150th anniversary years.

    I enjoy your blog so much--you're always reading something interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Katrina, I know that feeling, after a move, though money was only between apartments, not selling a home as well. I'm also enjoying the pictures of the new place!

    Jane, I wanted to clear off the civil war section of the TBR stacks, during the anniversary, but I quickly realized that wasn't going to happen anytime soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've just realised I read this, felt all warm and nice, but didn't actually comment. Thanks so much, Lisa!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simon, I forgot to mention how you've inspired the centuries of books as well - though I have been neglecting mine. I'm glad I admitted from the start I'd never finish it in a year.

    ReplyDelete
  15. When I first read your 7 interesting facts about yourself, I caught your occupation as "anarchist"!!! Complete double-take, though I did think, "Oh, yes, that *would* be interesting..." but then I looked again. I think I need new glasses... :-) And you're very welcome; I greatly enjoy your blog, and am happy to realize that you don't spend your working days planning the overthrow of anything - much the opposite!

    Barb

    ReplyDelete
  16. Barb, I sometimes get mail atr work addressed to me as the "architect," but not yet as the "anarchist" :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read, and to comment. I always enjoy hearing different points of view about the books I am reading, even if we disagree!