Sunday, September 21, 2014

Sunday miscellany: Sanditon, TV, and cats

Happy Sunday afternoon!  I hope it is the start of a good week.  We're supposed to see some fall-ish weather later in the week, which for Houston means temps in the low 80s.  Even more than cool weather, I am looking forward to Deborah Crombie's new book, To Dwell in Darkness, which will be released on Tuesday.  She will be signing at Murder by the Book on Friday, and I will be there.

Sanditon
Yesterday our Houston JASNA branch met, to discuss Jane Austen's last, unfinished work, now known as Sanditon.  Austen began it in January of 1817, but she had to give up working on it in March as her health declined, leading to her death that July.  Her manuscript is now at King's College, Cambridge, which has digitized it as part of their "Jane Austen Fiction Manuscripts" project (you can see the pages here).  The complete manuscript was first published by the Austen scholar R.W. Chapman in 1925, and one of our members brought her first edition to the meeting.  My own introduction to Sanditon was through a one-volume collection of the "Minor Works," part of The Oxford Illustrated Jane Austen (also edited by Dr. Chapman).  My edition includes the Juvenilia, Lady Susan, and The Watsons, as well as Sanditon.  I had only read Sanditon once, and it didn't leave much impression on me, I think because there is just so much in this combined edition.  I should have read the four very different works separately, each on its own terms - as I have done with the Juvenilia and Lady Susan.

Re-reading Sanditon was a revelation.  It is a satirical look at a seaside town on the south coast of England, which two of its residents are promoting with all their might.  One of the investors, Mr Parker, is as effervescent as Mr Weston in preaching the merits of "a young & rising Bathing-place, certainly the favourite spot of all that are to be found along the coast of Sussex."  He constantly points out the benefits of sea bathing and sea breezes, and with his coadjutor Lady Denham he schemes to lure people to fill the cottages and the Terrace waiting for summer visitors.  He is in hopes that his two sisters and brother will also come, and a funnier set of hypochondriacs I have never met.  His younger brother Arthur's lectures on why toast must be slathered with butter, and the horrors of green tea, top even Mr Wodehouse's paeans to gruel and Hartfield eggs softly boiled.  There is a young man who has read too many novels and aspires to be a seducer; Lady Denham, who has married twice and inherited both husbands' estates, to the discomfort of their families; Charlotte Heywood, a young woman staying with the Parkers, who watches all the antics with a cool, detached, amused eye; and most intriguingly, a young heiress from the West Indies, Miss Lambe, "half Mulatto."  In the discussion, Miss Lambe brought to mind "Belle" Lindsay, with whom Jane Austen may have been familiar through family connections.

I felt that in Sanditon, Jane Austen was trying something new.  The story has such energy, with people rushing around - it even opens with a carriage accident!  And as we considered in the discussion, it is focused on a commercial enterprise, creating a sea-side resort out of a sleepy village.  And while there are several eligible females, and three single men (if you count the hypochondriac Arthur), it isn't clear who if anyone will pair off.  I also think it is amazing that Austen could write such a satire of hypochondriacs while she herself was so ill.

I know there is a continuation of Sanditon, "By a Lady," which has been enthusiastically recommended to me.  I usually avoid Austen sequels and spin-offs like the proverbial plague, but I am a little tempted.  I so wish we could know what Austen intended with this story.  Have you read Sanditon, or the sequel?  If so, what do you think - about where Austen's story would have gone, about the story she did write, whether the sequel is worth reading.


TV
My Tivo box is acting up again.  It is claiming that it's unable to connect to my wi-fi, though everything else in the house can. Now it's stuck on a single screen, and nothing I've tried will unblock it.  The Tivo website hasn't been helpful, so the next step would be to call them, I guess.  At this point I can't even watch TV.  On the other hand, though, I am wondering if this isn't a good time to cut the TV cord - or at least cancel my cable.  My bill keeps inching up, but I only watch a very few of the 700+ channels available.  I have a premiere level, so I can get the Turner Classic Movies channel, but I record far more than I ever watch. And in reality, I generally end up flipping through channels, only to end up with something that I don't really want to watch, out of inertia.  I do watch stuff through Netflix streaming, but I can do that without cable.  And I have been reading about some of the other services, like Hulu and Apple TV, which seem more cost-effective.  I think I'm going to let the TV sit, see how it goes this week.  I think that having it shut off might give me more time to read, and maybe a bit more mental energy, especially if I cut out the mindless watching.


Cats
James at James Reads Books has announced the impending arrival of a new dog in their family.  I have also added to mine, a new cat.  She is two years old, so technically an "older cat," the kind that are harder to place, because people want kittens.  She's a "dilute calico," which I've learned means mostly white, with the calico colors "diluted" - red, brown, and grey splotches.  My older cat Sophie (aged 8) is Not Amused.  Here she is keeping a wary eye out:


Sophie is named for The Grand Sophie, but under the pressure of the newcomer, she is acting more like Eugenia Wraxton.  On my vet's recommendation, I now have a dry food called "Calm," which includes tryptophan.  The new kitty does not yet have a name.  She was originally Eowyn, and then Eve - neither of which I like.  She is totally copying Sophie, where she sleeps, sits, eats - even how she sits or sprawls.  And she so desperately wants to be friends!  I am considering little sisters' names, like Ginny Weasley, which would be appropriate for a red-head.  But after Sanditon, I'm also thinking of Charlotte.  I have never had this much trouble naming a cat!

12 comments:

  1. This is the most informative site I've found about "Another Lady":

    http://www.deborahyaffe.com/blog/4586114521/Sanditon-Summer-Marie-Dobbs/5946992

    It also has a pretty fair (and not very spoilery) review of the continuation.

    -Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your new cat is lovely! Have you read Reginald Hill's take on Sanditon, The Price of Butcher's Meat? I really liked it -- Sanditon as a Dalziel and Pascoe mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I'd read Sandition several years ago, but your description doesn't sound even vaguely familiar so I must be mistaken.

    Your new cat is adorable. Hope Sophie comes around soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Susan, I knew I should have checked Deborah Yaffe! I did look for the continuation at B&N today, but didn't find it.

    elizabeth, I haven't read that - or any Dalziel and Pascoe, though I've seen the books & wondered about them. Do they need to be read in order, do you think?

    JoAnn, I consider it progress that Sophie will actually sit in the same room with the little kitty :) but she is definitely sulking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I *love* your Eugenia comparison - so true of how stiff they are with other cats! Heyerishly(?), I've decided already that my next cat will be called Waldo. I don't know what I will do if it is a girl though. And welcome to [insert name]: 'diluted' seems far from the truth character-wise!

    ReplyDelete
  6. vicki, plus the occasional hissy fit :) I always think of Waldo with Heyer, having missed the whole "Where's Waldo" thing. I don't think Walda works quite as well, though.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you considered Cecy to go with Sophie?

    -Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Drat, Susan, I didn't think of Cecy! But I wad considering CC, because she is such a copy-cat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. For what it's worth, I've had cable maybe one year out of my life, and in the years I didn't have it, I have barely felt the lack. Now that I have a Roku box and I can watch Netflix on my television, I feel the lack absolutely zero. I think you'd be safe cutting the cord!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jenny, I've felt much more relaxed this week, and I am certainly getting more done without the excuse of sitting down "just for a minute" to flip through the channels. I am 98% ready to cut the cord!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love Sanditon and find it heart-breaking that not only did Austen not get very far with it, she left no notes as to its plot (unless Cassandra torched those too!). I've read the continuation by a lady a couple of times--it's fun and not too improbable.

    I vote for Charlotte--Sophie is acting quite grand. Hopefully they'll settle in to a comfortable co-existence. How funny that the newbie is copying the grande dame.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jane, Austen doesn't even seem to have talked about the book to her family - or if she told them what she planned, no one wrote it down. I so much want to read Austen's completed story! I think I have finally settled on Charlotte :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read, and to comment. I always enjoy hearing different points of view about the books I am reading, even if we disagree!