Friday, November 28, 2014

Signing on for another round of the TBR Dare


I am thankful that James of James Reads Books is hosting another round of his annual TBR dare.  This year, it's the Double Dog Dare!  You may already know the dare: to read only from your TBR shelves from January 1st to April 1st of 2015.  Any books on hold at the library by Dec. 31st of this year are also eligible.  This will be my fourth year of participating, and it's not easy.  But I do feel a sense of accomplishment (and a bit of relief) in crossing books off the TBR list, while trying not to add too many new ones.  This year again I'll donate a dollar for every book (finished or not) to RIF (Reading Is Fundamental), a children's literacy non-profit.  As the (pretty flexible) rules allow, I am claiming exemptions for book club books, and also for the new book by Laurie R. King, a Sherlock Holmes & Mary Russell story to be released in February.  I am also mulling over allowing myself one comfort re-read each month if needed - because I'd still be reading from my own shelves.

I have an idea in the back of my mind that I might carry this on past April.  We'll see - that's easy to say now.  But for the last couple of years, I've had these little notes posted on my computers: "TBR Free in 2015."   They're on my computers because that's where I often learn about new (or new-to-me) books and authors, from blogs and email discussion lists.  And that's also where I all too easily click over to book-buying websites.  Realistically, there is no way I will make that goal now.  And there will be new books that I want to read, and some to add to my shelves.  I don't think I'll ever not have a TBR stack - but it would be nice to have a stack and not shelves of them.  Sometimes I feel like a book hoarder, sometimes I feel guilt over all these unread books, sometimes I'm almost paralyzed by so many choices of what to read next. So I have my eye on 2016 instead.  Maybe.  We'll see how the Dare goes first.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Lisa,
    Off-point but I wanted to answer your question about "Still Life." I found out (somehow, by accident) that the video is carried by Acorn Media (you may have heard of them or your friend can google them -- they sell a lot of the PBS-y series). It's also available on Amazon (though I'm glad I resisted the temptation to buy it!) I think I read that the Acorn Media site has a streaming service with a free trial -- that was my original plan for watching this (if I could) before I found that my library had it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with your TBR books. I am going to read more TBR books too in 2015. The surplus books on my shelves are also overwhelming so I know exactly how you feel. We can be in this together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would so love to join, but as a public librarian I feel it would be irresponsible of me to neglect reading new releases, though I (mostly) really don't want to right now. I'm so glad that I reorganized my book shelves, though, because it has sparked excitement in me for reading the books I already own. I also feel like a hoarder and like I'm wasting money by not reading the books I've spent lots of money on over the years. Maybe I can do a modified version of the dare?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Audrey, thank you! I've forwarded the info on to my friend, who is *very* happy :) I know Acorn from the Foyle's War series, and also House of Eliott.

    Pam, it does help to have a support group! I've already cut down on my book-store buying, but the on-line shopping is just so easy.

    Anbolyn, I'm also bothered by the money that I've spent, especially for books that I just "had" to have, which now sit unread. I definitely think the ones you hae to read for work shouldn't count!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck!

    I think this may be my year to do this, now that I don't pass the library every day, and because the number of unread books in the house is getting silly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck! I see this challenge every year but get cold feet--the TBR Pile is hard enough for me to complete as I get distracted by shiny new books (mostly from reading other bloggers' posts!) too easily.

    I love the donation idea--I've donated books to BookMentors but Reading is Fundamental looks like a very worthy org and $1 per book seems like a good investment in our collective future. Thanks for sharing info about this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jane (Fleur), giving up the library is tough, because it's such a part of my Saturday routine, and I love discovering books by chance there. I'll have a few on my reserve list, just to tide me over!

    Jane, I get distracted so easily too! And fellow bloggers have introduced me to so many wonderful authors & books. I don't know BookMentors, I'll have to check them out. I'm always looking for places to donate books.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gald to have you back again this year. And glad to see that you're making exceptions. I want the dare to be fun above all else. Sticking too close to a set of rules and make it challenging to have fun sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. James, it's great to have that flexibility. I may not need the comfort re-reads, but I like having them there just in case, like emergency chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I completely understand how unread books can paralyze you...and make you feel guilty at the same time. It happens to me, too. Someone should write a book about The Weight of Unread Books. :) Good luck with your TBR dare! I hope you get a lot of unread books read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lark, it's odd how they go from being books that I just HAD TO HAVE to feeling like that weight. I've weeded quite a few this year, and the rest are ones that I do want at least to try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read, and to comment. I always enjoy hearing different points of view about the books I am reading, even if we disagree!