Wednesday, July 20, 2016

New books, and a book lost

If all goes well, I will be moving in a month or so. I should be thinking about all the books that I have to put into boxes between now and then. I should be weeding out books that I don't need to take with me (to the built-in bookcases). I should not be adding more books to those stacks. Like Louis in "Casablanca," I am sure that you will all be shocked, shocked!  to hear that somehow I keep finding books that I just have to have.


The book on the left is The Sherwood Ring, by Elizabeth Marie Pope. I learned about from a post by Constance Martin on Staircase Wit, "10 Books for the Hamilton-Obsessed." Her description immediately sold me on the book:
"This is a jewel of a YA historical fantasy from an author wrote only two books (both outstanding). When orphaned teenaged Peggy goes to live with her cantankerous uncle in upstate New York, her loneliness results in encounters with characters from the Revolutionary War. The contrast between the 20th century and the British-occupied countryside is entertaining and British officer Peaceable Sherwood is as charming a character as you will find in a story that combines history, romance, and humor."
I've been in the mood for a time-travel or time-slip novel, and I think this one will be just right.

The book on the right arrived today, in a wrapping so elegant that I thought immediately of Persephone Books. This one comes thanks to Jane at Beyond Eden Rock. I initially resisted both her review and the book's beautiful cover, but I knew it was only a matter of time. I'm glad I was able to find a copy whose cover is still in pretty good shape, and I am so looking forward to the story within. March Cost is a completely new author to me - with more titles to explore.

(Thanks to Jane and Audrey, I may also have ordered a copy of Margery Sharp's Martha in Paris today - another beautiful cover. I still have The Eye of Love to read first.)

Sadly, another book has been lost in transit.  When Jennifer of Holds Upon Happiness wrote about reading My Family and Other Animals for the first time, she asked about sequels. I couldn't remember the name of the second book, so rather than walking all the way out to the living room, I did a quick Google search. My reward for sloth was the discovery that there is a third book set in Corfu, The Garden of the Gods.  Of course I had to look for a copy - and there aren't a lot out there. I did find one for a reasonable price, but it never arrived, and today Amazon gave up hope and credited me for it. (I once lost an Amazon book package left on my doorstep; I have a theory that they are sometimes appropriated by people assuming they must contain electronics.)  While I was waiting, I picked up My Family and Other Animals, for the first time in at least fifteen years. What a joy it was to rediscover this book. I had only the vaguest memories of it. Now I'm looking forward to sitting down with Birds, Beasts and Relatives - of which I remember even less (if possible).

16 comments:

  1. I recently read 'My Family and Other Animals' for the first time and immediately wanted to move to Corfu! I will have to look for the sequels. British TV has recently shown a series called 'The Durrells' based on the books, which was really enjoyable, so do look out for it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see that series! I hope it will be available for viewing in the US at some point.

      Delete
  2. I am so pleased to see a March Cost book being added to your library, and if Audrey has tempted you to order the second part of Martha's story she has done very well indeed. And it is a very small book ....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel particularly susceptible to bookish temptations these days :)

      Delete
  3. The Elizabeth Marie Pope book sounds interesting. Her other book, The Perilous Gard, has been recommended to me before, but now I think I'll have to look out for The Sherwood Ring as well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen The Perilous Gard mentioned as well (and not just by Jenny below :) I never came across her books in the library though.

      Delete
  4. How nice to see a new post from you and how nice that you included a reference to my blog.

    I have been tempted by the March Cost book as well. Such a beautiful cover and the review makes it sound so appealing. I am sure I shall cave in and order it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen a list of all of March Cost's books, but when I was checking on-line for this one, I saw a couple of intriguing titles.

      Delete
  5. I say keep all the books that make you happy...even if they're a pain to box up. And good luck with the move! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, the only books that will go to the library sale instead of the boxes are the ones that aren't worth keeping (re-reading), or the TBR books that I'm finally admitting will never BE read. I've purged a lot of books lately, so I think most of them will be going into the boxes :)

      Delete
  6. Round up the usual suspects! And take care which books you weed out, I've often regretted getting rid of books after a move. I hope all goes well.
    I also loved the Gerald Durrell books and am just about to start on Lawrence Durrell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship...

      I have regretted that as well - and ended up buying new copies!

      I haven't tried Lawrence Durrell yet - I understand his books are *very* different. I have such a clear picture of him in my mind, from his brother's books.

      Delete
  7. I woefully report that despite very much wanting to like Elizabeth Marie Pope's books, I never really have. Her other book is notable for being impossible for my old roommate and me to remember the title of, such that we have had at least four conversations on subways cars trying to remember its name. (Confessions, I had to google it again just now. The Perilous Gard!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought of you when I saw the title of Con's post, since you're the only people I know who have read the Chernow biography of AHam. (I'm still not over your getting to see it.)

      Delete
  8. Sherwood Ring sounds delightful--I know I would love it! Fortunately, I haven't lost too many books in the mail, but it is so frustrating when it does happen, especially for something that's hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My apartment complex has not been good about packages, one book package was left sitting in their mail room for a month. I was so sure the Durrell book would turn up in the end!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read, and to comment. I always enjoy hearing different points of view about the books I am reading, even if we disagree!