Saturday, December 16, 2017

My Life in Books, 2017

I saw this meme over on Jane's Reading, Writing, Working, Playing - and it looked like such fun that I immediately started looking back over my year of reading.

In high school, I was: Stiff Upper Lip (Jeeves)  (P.G. Wodehouse)

People might be surprised (by): My Latest Grievance  (Elinor Lipman)

I will never be: The Young Stepmother  (Charlotte M. Yonge)

My fantasy job is: (in) The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop  (Lewis Buzbee)

At the end of a long day I need: Silence in Court  (Patricia Wentworth)

I hate it when: (I keep) Dreaming of the Bones  (Deborah Crombie)

I wish I had: Four Gardens  (Margery Sharp)

My family reunions are: Written in Blood  (Anne Bishop)

At a party you'd find me with: The Quiet Gentleman  (Georgette Heyer)

I've never been to: A Town Like Alice  (Nevil Shute)

A happy day includes: Circle of Friends  (Maeve Binchy)

Motto I live by: Eat Cake  (Jeanne Ray)

On my bucket list is: The Copenhagen Connection  (Elizabeth Peters)

In my next life, I want to have: Earth and High Heaven  (Gwethalyn Graham)


I didn't write about most of these books when I read them, but a couple at least are on my "favorite books of the year" list, so I'll have something to say about them there. I love all the end-of-the-reading-year recaps, lists and posts and everything in between. I often find something to add to my TBR lists, if not the stacks.

14 comments:

  1. Vey nicely done, and I am so pleased to know that you have read 'Four Gardens.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so happy when ABE finally found a copy at a price I could afford! (And I've corrected MS's name - I don't know how that got by me.)

      Delete
  2. So glad you joined the fun--I had a blast doing my list. I like your party answer, and your family reunions! BTW, I adore A Town Like Alice. Such a great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A Town Like Alice is one of my desert-island books! I read it at least every other year, and every time I do I start thinking about visiting Australia.

      Delete
  3. Good choice for your family reunions, ha ha. I think I will do a favorite books read in 2017 post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you do! I love "my favorite book" posts.

      Delete
  4. Such a fun list! Looks like you've read some great books this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have you & Barb to thank for Earth & High Heaven. I didn't wait for the Persephone! I've recommended it to so many people since.

      Delete
  5. What a fun way to look back at your reading. I love your motto for life! I'll look forward to your books of the year list. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had to sit with my reading log for a while, to find the titles that fit - which did remind me of the great books I read earlier in the year, when I wasn't blogging about them.

      Delete
  6. Love your fantasy job and your motto! Thanks for sharing. Your post totally made me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had such fun with it :)

      Reading The Yellow-Lighted Bookshop really made me want to work in a bookstore.

      Delete
  7. I've been so lax about doing anything for the end of the year! But I love seeing other people's summing-up posts -- they're wonderfully dangerous to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I know! I'm going to try this year to get more of them from the library. I know you do, I'm always impressed with your stacks of library books!

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read, and to comment. I always enjoy hearing different points of view about the books I am reading, even if we disagree!