Tuesday, May 23, 2017

A belated but very welcome arrival

Last year, a very generous friend gave me a Persephone book token for my birthday. I didn't redeem it right away, I wanted to gloat over it for a while, and to plan very carefully which books I would order. My mother used to say that money burned a hole in my pockets, and usually book gift cards do as well. But I hoarded this one for ages. Then suddenly, a couple of months ago, I decided it was time. After paging through The Persephone Biannually for two days, and changing my mind several times, I put my order in by email and settled down to wait. I waited and waited and waited. Every day (except Sunday) I came home thinking this would be the day that I'd find a package in my mail box, or outside my front door. But nothing. Finally, after about six weeks, I sent another email, asking if by chance my package had been returned. I heard nothing back - and still no package. I was just resigning myself to the loss of my books, when I opened the mailbox today to find three packages (and a pouch - more about that in a minute). There is no date on the packages, so I can't tell if they have just been lost somewhere in the British or United States mail systems. I am so very happy that they finally arrived safely.



If you can't tell from the picture, the books are first, Hostages to Fortune, by Elizabeth Cambridge, which I've been most anxious to read. Second is Because of the Lockwoods, by Dorothy Whipple. I had an awful time deciding between that one and the two volumes of her short stories, or They Knew Mr Knight. The third is A Lady and Her Husband, by Amber Reeves. That one went on my list as soon as I read about in the Biannually, because I collect stories about tea shops (the kind that serve tea).

I was so sad over the non-appearance of these books that I haven't had the heart to look at the most recent Biannually. Now I can sit down with it and start thinking about my next order.

As if the Persephones weren't enough riches for today, I also received another addition to my Patricia Wentworth addiction collection.



ABE Books managed to find me a fairly reasonable copy of this rare title. Ever since I read Jane's review on Beyond Eden Rock, I've been hoping to get my hands on a copy.

I just read one of the non-Silver books, Nothing Venture from 1932. (I have to trust Dean Street Press that it isn't really supposed to be Nothing Ventured.) The very masterful hero is named Jervis, and the whole time I was reading it I kept thinking of "Master Jervie," the very masterful hero of Jean Webster's classic Daddy-Long-Legs. I haven't read it in years, and after I finished it I went on to the sequel, Dear Enemy. It's been even longer since I read that one, and I had forgotten the frequent and approving references to eugenics.

I'm finding older books a welcome distraction these days. Last week I got a copy of Denis Mackail's Tales from Greenery Street through inter-library loan. Even ABE hasn't been able to find me a copy of that book, though they did find Ian and Felicity. All his stories of young married couples and their cooks-general made me think of Monica Dickens. I ended up re-reading One Pair of Hands, and then I went on to read The Winds of Heaven off the TBR shelves. It's been an interesting week of reading by association. Now though I think I'm going to sit down with Hostages to Fortune. And for the moment I can stop envying all the travelers back from London with their stacks of books, like Jenny of Reading the End and Jennifer from Holds Upon Happiness.

22 comments:

  1. I read Hostages to Fortune last year and loved it. But then, when have I not loved a Persephone Book? I am so glad your order finally turned up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't say I loved The Victorian Chaise-Longue, because it's such an unsettling story and I don't think I'd read it after dark :)

      Delete
  2. Hostages to Fortune is one of my very favourite Persephones. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a recommendation!

      I've already read Earth and High Heaven, from yours and Barb's recommendations. I didn't wait for the Persephone edition!

      Delete
  3. I love the Greenery Street books! (And, ahem, you might find someone you know in the Biannually...I was thrilled!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how exciting, Audrey! I am off to check my copy - and trying to remember which Persephones you have written about!

      Delete
  4. It's so frustrating to be waiting for a package of books! At least you finally got your order and now have some wonderful books for the summer. Enjoy your books--you've given me some new titles and authors to explore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually enjoy the anticipation - it makes checking for the mail so much more interesting when it might be something more than bills and junk mail. But this was too long a wait.

      If you haven't read Daddy-Long-Legs, it's a lovely story of an orphan girl gifted with a college education.

      Delete
  5. All your reads sound so very good -- adding them to my TBR. My dream is to order from Persephone Books someday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dream is to visit the store in London :)

      Don't tell Persephone, but I have found some used copies in the bookstores here. I was happy to save on the shipping costs!

      Delete
  6. I'm glad you finally received your package! I haven't read any Persephones for a while, but I would be interested in all three of those. They sound like good choices - I hope you enjoy them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't either, Helen. In fact, I still have Mollie Panter-Downes' London War Notes on the TBR shelves - I really need to get to that one.

      Delete
  7. It's always a good day when books arrive in the mail! I'm glad you finally got them; they sound like a lot of fun. Enjoy! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Especially when I had almost given up hope, at least of the Persephones :) It was a strange feeling going to the mail box today - I had to remind myself that I don't have any books on order, so none to look for now.

      Delete
  8. I think you'll love the Mollie Panter-Downes book. I haven't read any of the Persephones you bought, but I have been lucky recently finding some in secondhand bookshops, people usually hang on to them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried the MPD book once before, but I was taking so many notes that I got overwhelmed. I think this time I will just read it, and not worry about remembering all the details. I've enjoyed everything of hers that I've read - I just wish there were more books!

      Delete
  9. Hostages to Fortune is one of my very favourite Persephones - I hope you love it as much! I haven't read the other two yet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does seem to be a general favorite! I got sidetracked by Jane Austen, but I'm putting this at the top of my "to read next" list!

      Delete
  10. Yay, so glad your books made it to you at last! I love hoarding my own book tokens and then spending them on a bunch of books at once, it feels heavenly. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! In fact, this weekend I finally broke out a Barnes & Noble card I've been holding on to - and then spent twice as much as the card!

      Delete
  11. Whew, glad the books got to you. I've had missing books before (not from Persephone) and it's such a sad feeling!! I have a couple of Persephones that I also picked up 2nd hand, but would love to be able to sit down and order a whole bundle...someday perhaps...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've had two copies of a Gerald Durrell book just disappear en route. I finally decided that I was not meant to have that particular book!

      I wish Persephone had a North American branch :)

      Delete

Thank you for taking the time to read, and to comment. I always enjoy hearing different points of view about the books I am reading, even if we disagree!