Wednesday, January 11, 2012

The Classics Challenge: January with Charlotte M. Yonge

I'm taking part in the Classics Challenge this year, hosted by Katherine at November's Autumn.  She will be posting questions of the 4th of each month, for us to answer about whichever classic we are reading at the time.  Fortunately, we have all month to post responses, since I was reading a book about the Civil War on January 4th (and even now, the book I'm reading isn't from the list I posted when I signed up for the challenge).  I am reading The Heir of Redclyffe, published in 1853.

This month's discussion focuses on the author, and because I'm not very far into the book, I'm answering the Level 1 questions (I had a lot of fun researching these):

Who is the author?  Charlotte M. Yonge

What does she look like?

(Source: Wikipedia)

When was she born? Where did she live?   She was born on August 11, 1823 and lived in Otterbourne, a village near Winchester in Hampshire.

What does her handwriting look like?


(Source: http://www.richardfordmanuscripts.co.uk/)
 What are some of the other novels she has written?   She wrote over a hundred books, as well as editing a magazine for many years!  She is best known today for The Heir of Redclyffe and The Daisy Chain.  But this title fascinates me: The Cunning Woman's Grandson: a Tale of Cheddar a Hundred Years Ago (published in 1889).

What is an interesting and random fact about her life?   The road that ran through her village of Otterbourne also ran through Chawton, past the "Jane Austen House."

6 comments:

  1. I've heard of Charlotte Yonge, but knew nothing about her. She was very prolific! I see that some of her novels are available for the Kindle including The Heir of Redclyffe, so I'm not going to read your review in case I get a chance to read it. The Tale of Cheddar book is not one of the novels available to download ... darn! That one sounds intriguing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. At first I thought it was a story about ancient cheese - until I remembered that Cheddar is a town.

    What may finally convince me to get an e-reader is all the older books that are now available - and so many of them free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard of Charlotte Yonge. It's wonderful that she was an editor! Quite rare for the Victorian era. I must look into one of her novels.
    Thank you for participating in this month's prompt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm hoping to read more of her work. It's interesting to me that Elizabeth Gaskell has gotten so much attention, compared to Yonge or Oliphant or Emily Eden. Thank you again for hosting the challenge & discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting. I know nothing about her, have Heir of Redclyffe on the Christmas Kindle, but haven't read it yet - I read Maria Edgeworth's Castle Rackrent, and ended up with way to much info, and had touble making it fit the 'prompt' format, so I did it as an odinary blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chris, you probably saw that I did a separate post on the book too. I'm not familiar with Castle Rackrent, so I'll be taking a look at your post. I'm envious of the out-of-print materials that's available for e-readers these days.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read, and to comment. I always enjoy hearing different points of view about the books I am reading, even if we disagree!