Tuesday, March 5, 2019

The Old Gentleman (The Masqueraders, by Georgette Heyer)



   When the black page announced my Lord Barham next morning, both Mr and Miss Merriot were with my lady in the morning room. My lord was ushered in, very point-de-vice, with laced gloves, and a muff of miniver, and a long beribboned cane. The muff and the cane were given into the page's charge; the door closed behind this diminutive person, and my lord spread wide his arms. 'My children!' he exclaimed. 'Behold me returned to you.'
    His children maintained an admirable composure. 'Like Jonah cast up out of the whale's belly,' said Robin.
    My lord was not in the least put out of countenance by this coolness. 'My son!' He swooped upon Robin. 'Perfect! To the last detail! My Prudence!'
    Prudence submitted to a fervent embrace. 'Well, sir, how do you do?' she said, smiling. 'We perceive you are returned to us, but we do not understand the manner of it.'
    He struck an attitude. 'But do you not know? I am Tremaine. Tremaine of Barham!'
    'Lud!' said Robin. 'You don't say so, sir!'
    He was hurt. 'Ah, you do not believe in me! You doubt me, in effect!'
    'Well, sir' - Prudence sat on the arm of Robin's chair, and gently swung one booted leg to and fro - 'We've seen you as Mr Colney; we've seen you as Mr Daughtry; we've even seen you as the Prince Vanilov. You cannot altogether blame us.'
    My lord abandoned his attitude and took snuff. 'I shall show you," he promised. 'Do not doubt that this time I shall surpass myself.'
    'We don't doubt that, sir.'
    My lady said on a gurgling laugh, 'But what will you be at, mon cher? What madness?'
    'I am Tremaine of Barham,' reiterated his lordship with dignity. 'Almost I had forgot it, but I come now into my own. You must have known' - he addressed the room at large - 'you who have watched me, that there was more to me than a mere wandering gamester!'
    'Faith, we thought it was just deviltry, sir,' Prudence chuckled.
    'You do not appreciate me,' said my lord sadly, and sat him down by the table. 'You lack soul, my children. Yes, you lack soul.'
The children who lack soul are, like himself, fugitives from the losing side of the Jacobite rebellion. They are in disguise, Prudence as "Peter Merriot" and Robin as his sister Kate, staying with Lady Lowestoft, who knows the whole story and their many years ranging across Europe in their tempestuous father's wake. Now he has appeared in London, claiming to be the lost Viscount Barham.

I know this isn't a favorite with some Heyer readers, who find the Old Gentleman as irritating as his children sometimes do. I think he is one of her most entertaining characters, and I love watching him stir up trouble. The reactions of his more conventional children - even in their cross-dressing disguises - always make me laugh. Prudence is also a favorite character, one of Heyer's calm, sensible women, with the saving grace of humor. She actually deals better with their wayward father than her brother does, as she navigates through male society. At least growing up with a "wandering gamester" has taught her to play cards, and to best cardsharps out to fleece the young man she appears to be. And she gains the support and friendship of another lovely character, "the mountain" Sir Anthony Fanshawe, whose keen grey eyes watch not just the outrageous Lord Barham, but also the Merriots, Peter in particular.

Published in 1928, this is one of Heyer's earlier books. The language is ornate, rather self-consciously "period," but it still fizzes with humor. And it's quite an exciting story, between the disguises and the lost heir - not to mention a runaway bride, and a compromising document that may undo them all.

13 comments:

  1. This was one of the first Heyer novels I read and I remember loving it. I didn't find the Old Gentleman irritating at all - I thought he was a great character! Prudence's relationship with Sir Anthony was lovely to watch develop too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to belong to an online Heyer reading group, and I remember some members were vocal about their dislike of the Old Gentleman, which always surprised me.

      Delete
  2. Hi there, this looks like a good one. I hope you'll have time to bring this over to Books You Loved: March so everyone can see it. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Fizzes with humor" is such a great way to describe Georgette Heyer's writing. I haven't read this one yet. I'm still working my way through her books. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could almost envy you, having so many wonderful books ahead of you :)

      Delete
    2. It is a nice place to be in. :D

      Delete
  4. Oh, I haven't read this one in ages and now I want to. It is always a good time for a Heyer novel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just had a sudden urge to spend some time with Prudence and the Old Gentleman! That's a joy of re-reading, meeting old friends again.

      Delete
  5. Definitely one of my favorites! My mother finds that the suspension of disbelief (re the cross dressing being convincing) is too difficult for her, lessening her enjoyment of the story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking of that, since Prudence takes after her mother, a large woman - though she's been playing a boy for years, so she'd have all the mannerisms down.

      Delete
  6. Also, I like to say to people, "You lack soul!" which, oddly, they resent.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to read, and to comment. I always enjoy hearing different points of view about the books I am reading, even if we disagree!